Friday, 16 October 2015

SFA & SSFA Occupants: Have you got home liability insurance cover?

If you occupy Service Family Accommodation be it either SFA or SSFA you will have signed an agreement when you moved into the property called a Service Licence to Occupy Service Family Accommodation (known as a Licence to Occupy). Due to this, you are not classed as a tenant you are a licensee.

Within the Licence to Occupy there is a clause that states that you are liable for damage up to at least the sum advised currently by the MOD, which from 1st August 2011 is set at £20,000.

You need to arrange your own home liability insurance cover – of at least £20,000. The Services Insurance and Investment Advisory Panel (SIIAP) at provides details of insurance providers who can ensure that you have the necessary ‘Licence to Occupy’ SFA cover.

Because you occupy the property under this agreement and are not classed as a tenant, standard home insurance policies do not cover your liability. SIIAP members offer policies that have a Licence to Occupy extension that has been specifically designed to meet this risk.

See CarillionAmey guide Your Guide to Living in Service Family Accommodation page 10.